The Cat

Today at work I was thinking about my grandmother. My grandmother always refers to me as the cat in her grandchildren. She's always talking about how as a child she would leave me in one spot and several hours later I was still there.

My mother is always talking about how I died three times as a child and was revived miraculously and how I only have six lives left and to make them count. I find it funny how suiting the nickname cat is for me. I'm really lucky. My mum told me about how as a child I would have a lot of seizures which she though was just me throwing a tantrum (although as a child I only threw one legit tantrum over a barney tote before you judge me dude accessories!) Anyways, she said I had a really bad seizure and it was raining really hard that day. All I remember of my childhood is passing out and coming in and out of consciousness, and waking up in a hospital with oxygen being forced down my throat. Its not the worse childhood, its not the best childhood, but it was my childhood, so I really don't see anything wrong with it. :] However my mum said that I was playing peacefully with my toys (I was four by the way) and that all of a sudden I went limp (I don't remember any of it to be honest) and that I turned blue (knowing me I would of thought it was cool that I was becoming an alien.) She said at first she rolled her eyes and told me to stop then she started yelling at me and at this point I was unconscious. When she finally did decide that maybe something was happening to me and decided to check up on me she said that I had stopped breathing. She said she became really scared and threw my blanket over me (so dexter) and carried me through the rain for two blocks running to the hospital. She said by the third block under all of the rain she was convinced I was dead. She said that it was weird that even though she felt like I was dead something compelled her to move forward and continue to take me to the hospital. Then by some weird coincidence she said that one of her friends passed by on their truck and saw my mum with me and they stopped and she said she didn't know how but she somehow communicated that she thought that I was dead because I had stopped breathing. So her friend rushed her to the hospital. Turns out I wasn't dead. (Obviously.) I had had a combination of a seizure with temporary paralysis. Although I was declared dead for two or three minutes then I had a reaction again and came back.
I like telling this story I find it romantic (I am a very morbid person.) My mum hates it every time I bring it up.
That was life one.


The second time I used a life out of my cat-life-o-meter I was six. My aunts had just come over from the suburbs with my (at the time) baby cousins I was really excited. My mum decided to go grocery shopping so we could all make dinner together. My aunts bought me a chocolate at the store and for me it was like getting drugs. I went crazy I needed chocolate, but my mum thought it had some stupid chemical that would cause me to have a seizure. Unfortunately she was kind of right I fainted again. I woke up to my mum screaming at me again. My poor mother she's probably been there for all the times I used my cat life meter.

Finally the third time I was ten years old. My mum had just taken my brother and I out to a mall that was close by my house. My brother was five at the time, so my mum had to hold on to him, because he had the tendency to run around everywhere. We were still in the parking lot and in order to get to the mall there was a narrow street that connected us from the parking lot to the mall. I was getting ready to cross the street and since I was a child I had the unfortunate reasoning to never look on both sides of the streets and to just cross if I made it to the other side of the street I would consider it lucky. That day was no different from the rest I just remember that I heard the car coming and I don't know why I stopped myself from crossing the street I stopped myself from leaning forward and it was kind of miraculous because I was wearing these hideous brown sandals that had no support so it was hard to balance myself. I just turned around to look at my mum who was squeezing my brother and she was white (which is weird because my mum is brown.) Apparently my mum said that she saw the car run me over and she wanted to move but she said that she couldn't move like something had glued her to the ground, and my brother was also pretty scared. The driver of the car was a teenager who had just gotten his license and he didn't stop at the stop sign where I was going to cross the street. The teenage boy got out of his car and since I was scared I started talking a lot. My mum collapsed and just kind of went into shock and the teenage boy came over to my mum and apologized and explained to her that he was distracted and he kept apologizing to her. At the time I didn't understand why now that I am older I do, but I was really scared and this was the first near death experience that I had that I was scared. When I was younger and I was scared I would start to ramble about anything. While the teenage boy was still apologizing to my mum I started talking to her about toes. (I was a weird child.)I told her how my toes stopped me and after a while my mum got out of shock and calmed down now panicked teenage boy. A police officer later did show up and my mum and panicked teenage boy had to explain what happened. Nothing happened I mean everyone left alive. I talked about toes for a week.
I don't like talking too much about this instance and my mum doesn't either she brings it up from time to time, but I really don't like talking about it.
That was the third life I used in my cat life meter.

Well this was a bit morbid, and I didn't expect it to be so morbid.

-Fatima

Comments

Popular Posts